Thursday, December 20, 2012

IDEAS


Every so often I get on a jag. I have been mulling over various things to do with one of my favorite bi-products. Bean curd-skin or yuba as it is known in Japanese cuisine. I adore a particular steamed pork filled concoction that I can never pronounce quite well enough to find out which chart it is on when I am out for dim sum. Usually with patience I spot bamboo streamer containing what is called sin zuk gyun.

It is the outer skin that left me percolating with Ideas. I have cut the skins into strips that then got dropped into my Chicken Noodle Soup, now sans noodles. I have crisped them in the oven to be broken over salads in lieu of croutons. Then I decided to continue my playtime with bean curd-skin, and make an Asian-esque burrito. I bought frozen sheets that defrosted very quickly, and then made a ground chicken mixture rolled like I would for a burrito, and into the oven.

The were a hit with my in-house testing team and me, which is great because I am always trying to get Hokan to eat more soy.  I am not done with this product for there is a lasagna and Moroccan pastilla coming to a dinner table near you.

Asian Inspired Wrapped Chicken - serves 6
6-ounces rice noodles
1-pound ground chicken
2-tablespoons minced ginger
3-garlic cloves - minced
1- large shallot – minced
8-ounces chopped bamboo shoots
¼-cup chopped cilantro
¼-cup soy sauce
3 sheets tofu skin (approx. 6-ounces total weight)
1-tablespoon sesame oil

Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water for 15 minutes, and then drain. Cut up the noodles into 2-inch pieces.
 
Thoroughly combine the noodles, chicken, ginger, garlic, shallots, bamboo shoots, cilantro and soy sauce.

Layout a sheet of the tofu skin on a clean work surface, and place a third of the chicken mixture on the bottom third to about 1-inch from each side. Fold in the sides, and roll the chicken mixture up. Continue with the remaining tofu skin and chicken mixture.

Pre-heat the heat to 400-degrees.

Place the rolls on a baking tray, and brush them with the sesame oil.

Bake in to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Slice each roll into thirds and serve warm.




No comments: