Friday, August 10, 2012

And, they continue to come


The start of this summer has been a scorcher punctuated by four straight weeks of not a drop of water falling from the sky. When the dry spell finally broke, it rained across the road but not a drop managed to find its way into the backyard. The large elm or oak, I am not sure what it is, has dropped its leaves in reaction to this starvation and much of the lawn crunched under foot. However, down by the garden a ring of verdant, healthy grass continued to grow as it syphoned off water from the daily dosing I gave the garden.  Amazingly, I lost nothing though I will admit to a less than prolific cucumber output, which is a disappointment to my pickling jars.

I think the tomato plants might have preferred a more consistent water supply though I wont complain about its output. It is the other “tomato” in the garden that is overwhelming me – those husk tomatoes clearly loved this summer. Their generosity has been felt by almost everyone I come in contact with as I foist upon them a bag full of these giftwrapped gems. And, I still find I have a more than I can eat on any given day.

In the cupboard are preserves and conserves; the chest freezer has a few gallon-sized bags filled, suspended for when there are just a memory, and dinner has featured them in salads and desserts.

I think even if I planted them with a bit more thought toward succession harvesting I would still be dazed by its daily volume.



Husk Tomato Bread – yields 7x3 loaf 
½-cup canola oil
3-eggs
1-cup sugar
2-teaspoons vanilla extract
2-cups husk tomatoes
2-ounces chopped white chocolate
2-cups all-purpose flour
2-teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
 
Butter and flour a loaf pan.

In a work bowl whisk the oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla together until thickened and pale. Stir in the husk tomatoes and white chocolate.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Mix the flour into the eggs to combine. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake in the oven for 35 t 45 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. 


Cool on a wire rack, and invert once cooled.



No comments: