Thursday, February 3, 2011

Super prep




I guess I am clueless in regards to certain events. Living in New York City I became aware that the Jets almost made it to the Super Bowl. I heard of the pots of competing chili my nephews concocted as hosts of the don’t-let-us-down game. Unfortunately, like another rhyming New York sport’s franchise a victorious moment was not to be witnessed by Gotham’s optimistic fans. Apparently that is old news.

Yes, I knew that there were other teams that won and they would be off to the Super Bowl and the colors green and yellow in their uniforms. I just had no idea when it would be, and honestly I did not care. The only time I saw a football game in its entirety would have been when I was about twelve years of age. I do remember it being a Jets game when they actually played in the State they were associated with. I cannot say I recall a single minute of a single quarter; I do have absolute recollection of the frigid chill that caused my bum to freeze off and the hot chocolate my father plied me with in the hopes of melting the creeping hatred for the day that was all over my face. Indoors or outdoors I never witnessed a game again. I am also somewhat adverse to the greasy spread that litters many a den. That is why the one Super Bowl party I catered sushi was on the menu.

I don’t believe this weekend is going to mark any change in my viewing or eating habits – with or without the Jets. Maybe I will go to the movies with my own popcorn.




Green Apple and White Cabbage Salad – yields 10 servings
2 Granny Smith apples
1 lime - juiced
1 small head white cabbage – core removed; thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb – white bottom only; sliced julienne
1 medium red onion – sliced thinly onto julienne
4 stalks celery – sliced thin julienne
1 carrot – peeled; sliced thin julienne

Cut the apples into quarters and remove the core.

Then slice the apple into thin julienne and toss with the limejuice. Toss all the ingredients together along with the caraway dressing (see below).

Let the salad sit 1 to 6 hours before serving.













Caraway Dressing
1-pound silken tofu
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2-cup cider vinegar
1/4-cup olive oil
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black to taste
2 tablespoons poppy seeds

In a blender process the tofu, mustard vinegar, oil, caraway seeds, salt and black together to thoroughly combine. Transfer to a clean work bowl and stir in the poppy seeds. Correct with salt and pepper.


















The Farmer's Market Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes Using the Freshest Ingredients

No comments: