Saturday, July 3, 2010

chickpeas.....

I do get on a jag at times. I don’t mean my obsession with eating certain foods like asparagus, cherries, peaches, plums ad tomatoes to name but really, just a few -- this is straight out food snobbery. No, I mean a fixation with a technique or recipe that tends to follow for a while. Last year it was my fascination with a 1-2-3-4 cake formula that has become my go-to cake batter – when a recipe is not at hand.

It seems, for reasons unknown I got into my mind and mouth that I wanted to play with chickpea flour. I immediately veered toward Indian-style fritters that have munched on many times over the years. Though I never made one. So, starting with the garlic scapes of earlier this month I started playing, and have found a recipe that works. And, I cannot believe I am actually willing to deep-fat fry. Okay, I have the luxury of doing it at work so no concerns what to do with the cooking oil. I am so spoiled – especially, since I live 5 blocks from the kitchen. Though these little nibbles do not have to be fried in more than a couple of inches of hot oil.

It seems that I am completely hooked into the farmer’s market universe for this week one vendor in my market had freshly picked chickpeas still trapped in their cocoon. Beyond bringing them home I amazed that chickpeas are so reasonably priced. I averaged a single pea per pod with the occasionally twin. And, shelling them made me want to go back to the easy and comfort of shelling more common peas. The chickpea was a tad tougher perhaps then when they are fully ripened, and nature will cause its casing to pop open hoping it rolls across the earth to surprise me again next year.














Chickpea Fritters – yields approx 16
1-tablespoon toasted whole coriander seed
1-tablespoom toasted whole cumin seed
2-1/2 cup chickpea flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2-teaspoons salt
1/4-teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-cup fresh peas, chickpeas or corn
1-medium onion – finely diced
3-whole eggs
2-1/2 cups water
Canola oil for frying

Roughly ground the coriander and cumin seeds. I tend to use the edge of a small saucepan, and roll it over the seeds. Or, you can use a rolling pin to achieve the same result.

Mix together, using a whisk, the ground coriander, cumin, chickpea flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and black pepper.

In a small bowl mix together the peas, onion, eggs and water.

Add the pea mixture to the chickpea flour mixture to thoroughly combine.

In a 10-inch skillet with at least 4-inch high walls add enough canola oil with come 2-inches high in the pan.

Heat the oil to about 360-degrees.

Carefully spoon in about one-tablespoon’s worth at a time of the batter – making sure not too overcrowd the skillet. Fry the batter until a dark golden brown. You will most likely have to turn them once in the oil. Transfer from the oil to a cloth line tray. Serve warm to room temperature with sliced fresh lime.




No comments: