Saturday, November 7, 2009

A true starchy gem

I long for, and wait for a certain subterranean tuber that is grown by only two local farmers here in the northeast. It is a particular variety of potato that I ate while on a trek through the Andes Mountains of Ecuador. Simply called a papa amarilla (yellow potato) it is by far the richest, creamiest potato I have had the absolute pleasure to bite down on. It requires altitude and a chill to come to maturation, but given the right environment these spuds satisfies every potato craving I could muster. The closest proximity would be the Yukon gold though it can’t replace the mouth-joy I get from the papa amarilla.

It has to be since last April that I got to eat anything made with my favorite tatter-tot for it is my habit to put up some basic potato soup that I will freeze, and then either warm straight up, or perhaps melt some cheese into it; swirl pureed avocados through it; brown chunks of chorizo to add to it. The soup is easy potatoes, onion and garlic just barely covered with water. Cooked to soft, and then pureed it is perfectly simple. Today, I am ready to just eat them.




Potatoes with Greens – yields 6 servings
1-1/2 pounds papa amarilla or Yukon gold potatoes
5 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
1/4-cup extra virgin olive
6-cups roughly chopped mixed greens – such as collard, mustard or turnip
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a 2-quart saucepan add the potatoes and cover with water. Bring to the boil, and cook for about five minutes. Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool. Then cut the potatoes in half or quarters.

In a 10-inch sauté pan add the garlic and oil, and over a high heat cook the garlic until it starts to golden. Then add in the potatoes and gently toss to coat with the oil. After about five minutes add the greens. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes with a lid that is slightly a askew. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.








No comments: