Friday, May 1, 2009

Greens is the season


While I am attracted to the various fragrant signatures of spring’s bloom I am simultaneously called to the tender greens that are begging to be used. It is the verdant season, and my eye is spying the nascent offerings of the recently thawed earth.

Warmer weather immediately prompts more strolls and bike-rides that in turn, for me, tend to end up with a meandering through the farmer’s market. The broccoli rabe is so tender with the tiniest little buds with just a hint of yellow peeking through. It is at its least bitter, and asks to be gently cooked. Of course, the fast to disappear ramp is always on my radar and then so is French sorrel – oh, the pleasure in that puckering leaf that tolerates only the slightest of heat. As a matter of fact, I find much of what I am cooking right now is seeking a light cooking technique – stored away are my casseroles and soup pots for the season. After months of inviting long-simmering concoctions I welcome the quick rinse-spin-wilt meals that are dominating my daily feeds.



Wilted Greens with Coconut - yields 4 servings
2-tablespoons sesame oil
2-pound greens - such as spinach, bok choy or Chinese broccoli washed well
1- red Thai chili - minced
3 scallions- roots discard - sliced
1/4 cup un-sweetened shredded coconut
1/4-cup soy sauce

Heat a pan or wok to hot , and add the oil. Cook the greens, chili and scallions until just wilted then add the coconut and soy sauce, and toss to combine. . Depending on what greens you decide to use will determine the cooking time. Spinach takes all of a few minutes where Chinese Broccoli will take at least five minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments: