Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shifting times

The earth’s axis is shifting – summer is transiting into autumn creating a slightly schizophrenic food possibility. Apples, hard skin squashes quietly call as I prepare my cashmere yet my heart still is on the beach still craving a weekend bar-b-que. Autumn’s bounty takes me through the cold months -- I am always reticent to fold away my Bermuda shorts for the season. While, I can still have shaved corn, raw, from the cob and pick between red, golden or orange cherry tomatoes to pop in my mouth I will not budge. It will take the first morning that greets me with its low-slung light and the need to add a layer of wool before heading outdoors no apple will pass these lips…okay maybe a honey crisp might slip in.









Red and Yellow Marble Salad - yields 8 servings
1/4 pound baby red potatoes
1/4 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pint red cherry tomato - halved
1 pint yellow cherry tomato - halved
1 Green Chili - diced ( such as jalapñeo or serrano)
1/8 cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 lime - zested and juiced
1 cup tightly packed arugula leaves - roughly chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste

Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Toss the potatoes with the oil and place on a baking tray. Cook the potatoes in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until tender and slightly blistered.

With the potatoes still warm gently toss together with all the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.

No comments: