Thursday, June 26, 2008

Yes, Chef

I have decided my new moniker is going to be to the anti-chef. I am fed-up with the thought that food is something precious, and only those us trained professionally really know how to execute food. Now, granted I have been playing with this stuff for years and definitely have speed and organizational skills on my side. But those are learned traits my love of food and cooking came hard-wired. As I surf the shows on the Food Network and other video-culinary offerings so few offer me any more than a voyeuristic half-hour of banality. I want to be introduced to something new; something curious; something that will make my mouth salivate with anticipation. Not another vapid bobbing head yielding a knife, usually pathetically, bringing me to the culinary edge with the addition of a chipolte chili. Come on no matter where I have found myself there are fun stuffs to incorporate into my daily culinary repertoire and we live in a country rife with possibilities.

Lets not settle for the trivialization of foods that our network outlets tend to pander to and get ourselves to a market…talk to the producer, seller, fellow shoppers and start collecting some truly fresh inspiration.























Grilled Squid - yields 6 servings
2 pounds squid – cleaned, and cut into 1” pieces
1/8-pound garlic scapes
1/2-cup roughly chopped sorrel
5 scallions – roots discarded; white and green portion chopped
1/4-cup mint leaves
1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat an indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to very hot.

Make sure the squid is dried of any excessive moisture, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Quickly grill the garlic tops for a few minutes turning a couple of times in order to prevent them from burning. Grill the squid for 4 to 5 minutes turning once. Toss the squid, garlic tops and remaining together and serve warm.

No comments: