Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Taking a stand

I am so glad the first few weeks of February are behind us. Everywhere you looked there was chocolate this and chocolate that. Every cooking show played with this South American native that has mesmerized the majority of mouths around the globe. I must at this point stand up and declare I don’t like chocolates. I don’t get that emotional rush when I pop a bon-bon into my mouth rather I find myself obsessing on the bitter components of chocolate rather than the lushness that so many enjoy rolling in. I will admit I cannot see myself making my mole or beef tenderloin rub without the dark density of chocolate – but as a sweet, I’ll pass, thank you. Now, I will loudly and proudly proclaim that the un-chocolate is my thing. White chocolate delivers to me the richness of the cocoa butter, and the smile of the addition of vanilla and sugar. All that bitterness is gone and what remains is what makes chocolate wonderful to me – and I know I am not alone out there it is just that us non-chocoaholics are a beaten-down, silent sub-culture. If we rally perhaps next February we will start to find heart-shaped boxes filled with white rounded confections.


















White Chocolate Treats
1 pound white chocolate – chopped up
2 cups puffed millet or rice
8 ounces slivered almonds or chopped macadamia nuts

Melt the white chocolate in a large work bowl over simmering water. Once the chocolate has completely melted stir in the millet and the almonds.

Line a baking tray with plastic wrap or lay a slipat down on the tray. Pour out the chocolate mixture, and gently spread it out until it is about 3/4 of an inch thick. Though do try to keep the mixture as compact as possible so it will hold together as it cools. Place the tray in the refrigerator for 1 hour. After an hour cut the chocolate into 1-inch squares, Store the white chocolate treats in the refrigerator.

No comments: