Friday, September 21, 2007

An Equinox

On September 23, 2007 at 5.51 am the earth will shift on its axis officially marking the start of autumn, and for me the long trek into spring. Yes, I admit it I am not that sophisticated I really only need two seasons. Perhaps that is why I am gorging on tomatoes, corn, plums and watermelon while they offer a moment’s pleasure. It would also explain the 30 pounds of frozen heirloom tomatoes and gallon-size freezer bag filled with corn kernels not to mention the various jars of pickles in my refrigerator. I know there are days ahead when arctic air will sweep aggressively through the seams of my windowpanes and I will reach for a memory.

All that is tomorrow for now I feast on the juiciest, sweetest, most succulent August-hanger-ons I can find. That is right for today I refuse that apple or pumpkin because next week they will be my only options.




Beans, Corn and Potato Chowder – yields 6 to 8 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion - diced
1 red pepper - diced
3 garlic cloves – diced
1 jalapeno chili – seeds removed to lower heat
1/4-pound fingerling potato
1/2 cup shelled fresh shelling beans (such as black eyed, cranberry or lima)
1-pint cherry tomatoes
1-tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 ears of corn – kernels removed from the cob
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 2-1/2 quart saucepan over a medium heat, and the onion, red pepper, garlic and jalapeno. Cook the onion mixture for ten minutes stirring occasionally in order to prevent the onions from sticking. Once the onions brown add the potatoes, beans, tomatoes and thyme. Lower the heat to low, and cover. Cook the vegetables for 15 to 20 minutes until the beans and potatoes are soft. Add in the corn kernels, salt and pepper – cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Serve with a lime wedge or a dollop of sour cream.















Caribbean Tomato Cruda - yields approx. 2 cups

2 pounds tomatoes - seeded
1 small red onion
6 scallions
3-garlic cloves - crushed to a paste
1/4 cup parsley leaves – chopped
2 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 lemons - juiced
1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper

Dice the tomato into a 1/4 inch dice. Dice the red onion and scallions as fine as possible.
Toss with all remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 1 hour before using.

No comments: