Monday, July 16, 2007

Watermelon Radish

I love when I can come across something new and interesting. About two years, here in the New York farmer’s markets, a variety of radish found its way to our stalls. By name alone I would have passed it by, I mean another radish. However, this member of otherwise a humble vegetable turned my whole world on a dime. Externally it is nothing special – round with a white coating and greened shoulders. Slice it in half and a saturated explosion of color that glows from soft pink to red to magenta assaults the very color spectrum.

The flavor on these visual gems offers a slightly spicy skin with a sweetening interior. Use them with roasts in lieu of turnips, or boil them for a usual tint to a mash.

Personally I like gently pickled where the acid of the vinegar or lemon juice works to intensify their color – like they are not deep enough.





Iced Radishes - yields 6 servings

2 bunches watermelon radish
2 lemons - juiced
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Wash the radishes and trim off the greens.

Toss the radishes, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a ceramic, stainless steel or glass bowl to thoroughly combine. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and serve very cold. Serve as part of a summer antipasto platter.

1 comment:

MP said...

to my FAVORITE TEACHER,

just came back from korea where every time i saw a bowl of kimchi i thought of you and your wacky anchovy recipe. which, it turns out, isn't so wacky...anchovies were commonly used in the old days, i there found out.

anyway, i have doubts you remember me and i'm not sure what would remind you, as i was generic asian female cooking student #5309 in your Fine Cooking class in april. but i'm back in town from korea so give me a shout if you do. still have not rented my place, so spread the word to homeless types with good credit. love the blog, luuuurve the pics, love watermelons and love radishes.

love,
myra